School Building Pictures

Our collection of photos of our schools through the years.

Wauwatosa East and Wauwatosa High

The source of most of these pictures is from yearbooks. Before September of 1961, Tosa East was Wauwatosa High School.

Today
Today - with Lincoln Elementary
East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1945
East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1945
East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1935
East, Lincoln, & Longfellow - 1935
The tree that became the stump - 1939
Wauwatosa High - 1927
This building will become Longfellow
Wauwatosa High & Grade School
Wauwatosa High - 1870's
The Tower is removed
 

The Tunnel

The Tunnel
The Tunnel
Area outside the tunnel
Just to the right is the old Raider Room.
Area outside the tunnel

 

Longfellow Junior High / Middle School

Does anyone know when Longfelllow became a middle school?

1969
1939 - Across from East
Floorplan - 1st
2nd Floor
Area of 76th Ave. & North
Area of 76th Ave. & North

From the book, Images of America - Wauwatosa. "Increased numbers of students led to the construction of a new Longfellow Junior High School at Wauwatosa and North Avenues; land was cleared in 1955. In an act of early historic preservation, a log cabin built in 1880 by Frederick Underwood was moved from the site, at 7720 W. North Ave., to 2515 Wauwatosa Ave. for commercial use. It sits on the location of the former greenhouse and floral shop operated by florist John M. Dunlop."

Hawthorne Junior High

The source of most of these pictures is from yearbooks.

Date Unknown
Today

From the book, Images of America - Wauwatosa. "To ease overcrowded conditions at Longfellow Junior High School, Hawthorne Junior High was constructed in 1931 at 7700 Portland Ave. It opened in 1932 with 225 students, all living south of the railroad tracks in the Village. The impressive red brick Georgian Revival style building, designed by the firm of Herbst & Kuenzli Architects, had a tower that became a landmark in the neighborhood. Students at Longfellow and Hawthorne combined in writing a school paper called the Junior Journal, in October 1932, to encourage cooperation between the two schools rather than rivalry. In 1981, the school board voted to close Hawthorne as a school and make the building available for other uses. Today it is a private residential building".